NB. Before applying please check this job advert and requirements on our website if you have found it elsewhere!
no covering letter, no reply.
At the core of our offering is a cloud-based messaging platform, built from the ground up, that reliably delivers millions of messages to bus and rail passengers every day. We are already integrated with some of the world's largest messaging platforms, including Messenger and WhatsApp, and we are now looking for a mid-senior level software engineer - ideally with some experience of working on event-driven and/or messaging platforms - to help us take the platform to the next level.
You will be working closely with our lead front-end/back-end developers and product team to drive the development of our core messaging services, providing millions of bus and rail users with a rich real-time messaging experience every day.
NB. Please read our guide to applications before applying as we cannot consider applications that do not provide a cover letter!
• Work closely with the product team and senior developers to help build and operate our AWS-based transportation messaging platform
• Take ownership of, migrate and extend existing and new event-driven processes into modern architectures
• Fix issues, make enhancements and solve challenging problems by developing new code and integrating existing Zipabout or 3rd party libraries and API services
• Developing unit and integration tests to ensure our complex systems work as expected and match required behaviour
• Contributing to the clear documentation of new processes and improvements to existing documentation
• Creating automated alerts/alarms/dashboards for our critical operational systems
• At least 3 years commercial experience with Amazon Web Services (Lambda, API Gateway, Kinesis, DynamoDB, Cloudformation/SAM essential)
• Modern architectural design patterns, particularly event-driven and microservice based architectures
• Experience with source control (Git preferred), continuous integration, and unit/integration testing and issue management software (Jira ideally)
• Object-oriented and functional programming concepts
• Containerisation (docker experience preferable)
• Experience with 3rd party messaging API's such as Messenger, Twilio, and the WhatsApp Business API
• Solid knowledge of Scala (or a background in Java if no direct experience of Scala)
• NoSQL database design (understanding of Graph Database concepts a bonus!) with solid knowledge of SQL/MySQL beneficial
• Familiarity with RESTful API design concepts
For you, the devil is in the detail! Resilience, scalability and quality all go without saying in everything you do! You’ve probably been working as part of a team on an enterprise-level platform for a while, and fancy a challenge with greater responsibility and plenty of room to grow. We are unable to offer interviews to developers with less than 3-5 years commercial experience.
Zipabout is following government guidance and currently all staff are working from home with a weekly catch-up in the office. We hope that this will change, and that we can see more of each other as a team in the future, but for the time being the role can be largely executed remotely.
It is likely that we will continue to support a mix of WFH and office based work in the future, however there will still be a requirement to come to the office on a weekly basis. As such this is a Birmingham based role, so you will need to be able to be office based for at least 2-3 days each week.
If you think you’re who we’re looking for, and you want a career in a fast-moving sector with plenty of room to grow, send your CV with covering letter to email@example.com – no covering letter, no reply!
Offering £45-55k with benefits
Important – the following criteria are non negotiable, and applications that do not meet them will be ignored:
A cover letter is essential! Applications without one cannot be considered.
We are unable to sponsor visa applications – applicants must already have the Right To Work in the UK
No agencies, thank you!
Check out our quick guide to applications and drop us a line