Multi-modal routing and real-time transport data are at the heart of everything we do, and we use a wide range of open-source and proprietary systems to power our unique real-time messaging platform for transport operators. We are looking for a talented individual to join our leading-edge team of engineers and developers, focusing on the customisation and extension of our core multi-modal routing platform (OpenTripPlanner).
Ideally you will have direct experience of working with OpenTripPlanner or similar open-source or closed-source multi-modal routing engines. A solid knowledge of Java/Scala and working experience with Amazon Web Services will also be beneficial. You will work directly under our lead developer as we expand the platform (and the company) into Europe.
- Working closely with the tech director and senior developers to help extend and customise our OpenTripPlanner (OTP) based multi-modal routing platform
- Liaising with our product team to identify and specify existing and future functionality for the core routing platform, and liaise with the OTP community to align development with the wider project roadmap
- Developing unit and integration tests to and help create complex systems to help validate and improve data and routing quality
- Contributing to the clear documentation of new processes and improvements to existing documentation
- Prior experience of working with OpenTripPlanner (OTP) or a similar open/closed-source multi-modal routing engine
- Familiarity with data standards such as GTFS, SIRI, NeTEx, TransXchange etc
- Solid knowledge of Java (Scala experience also useful)
- Experience with source control (Git preferred), continuous integration, and unit/integration testing and issue management software (Jira ideally)
- Bash scripting and basic *nix deployment and configuration experience
- Experience with ETL / Stream processing
- Familiarity with both relational and NoSQL databases (e.g. MySQL or DynamoDB)
- Commercial experience with Amazon Web Services (Lambda, API Gateway, Kinesis, DynamoDB, S3, EC2, ECS etc)
- Familiarity with RESTful API design concepts
We are a fast-paced company, committed to growing a formidable business. We will do so by delivering exceptional value to our clients and developing new and innovative ways for our tech to grow.
You are a good fit for the Zipabout culture if you:
- Are a self-starter and are excited (and not daunted) about joining a rapidly growing scale-up business
- Enjoy change. We’re about innovation – we don’t stand still!
- Are a self-learner and a passionate tinkerer – you like to try new things and are comfortable paving the way forwards
- Have a product mindset - we are a product company, not a services company
- Want to be part of a team.
- We reward with competitive salaries and regular reviews
- Share options scheme for all staff – you will own a meaningful part of the business
- Flexible working so that you can plan your workday around your commitments
- We invest in your development with both personal professional and vocational development budgets
- Generous holiday allowance because we know that downtime feeds creativity and productivity
- A real work/life, family friendly balance - we don’t want you working the weekends
- No micro-management!
- Exposure to many aspects of the business and the opportunity to rapidly grow your career in your own direction
- Fab newly fitted out office in the heart of Leamington Spa
- Flexible location (office/WFH hybrid)
- Free mental health support through Mindful Employer Plus
- Cultural and active lifestyle contributions for a healthy mind and body
- Sabbatical scheme – just send us a postcard
- Regular team socials but no ‘forced fun’
This role can be carried out in the UK or remotely from another European country. Some travel to the UK may be required. Applicants based outside Europe cannot be considered.
We will ensure that exact salary offered for you will be competitive, country specific and based on your qualifications, competencies, professional experience and requirements for the corresponding job function.
If you think you're who we're looking for, drop us a line and let's have coffee (in person or virtually).
But please don't just send us a CV....
NO COVER LETTER, NO REPLY!
PLEASE READ THIS BIT
Important - the following criteria are non-negotiable, and applications that do not meet them will be ignored:
- a cover letter is essential! Applications without one cannot be considered
- we are unable to sponsor visa applications
- applicants must already have the Right to Work in their location
- no Agencies, thank you
Diversity: to help with our diversity efforts, we believe in fighting unconscious bias. We believe that actions speak louder than words and so we have decided to anonymise all CVs we receive. No name, no picture, no nationality or sex, no university or hobbies, no age or references. When your CV is being assessed by our team we only ever consider one thing: your skills. Once you've been shortlisted, we'll share everything we can about you with our interview panel, and we'll want to speak to you ASAP to know everything that's not on your CV, the rest of you.