About Zipabout’s services
Zipabout specialises in delivering personalised transport information through our clients’ online channels. We work with online partners to personalise their communication with passengers who use their services, either on their own web/mobile site, through email or on third party services. Our aim is to present you with the most relevant information to you, based on your recent browsing behaviour. For example, if you visit and browse on company A’a Website/mobile application, on a subsequent visits to third party Websites/mobile applications using Zipabout’s platform, you may see information personalised by your browsing history with company A. With our service, you should receive personalised information that is more relevant to you than the standard information you would receive without Zipabout.
If you do not want to receive personalised information generated by Zipabout, you can disable the collection of data by Zipabout by switching the slider below to the RED position.
More about our user choices
Please note: that each environment is separate. If you do not want Zipabout to collect data from your device, browser or environment used you must disable our services for each environment separately.
When you opt out as instructed in this section, a cookie will be set on your browser. We must maintain the cookie on your browser in order to recognise you as having opted out from our service. You must opt out again if you clear that cookie from your browser, use a different internet browser, or use a new computer to access the internet. Please note that this procedure will only block the collection of data and the delivery of advertising that is served by Zipabout.
You may also want to use browser settings to modify your preferences. Most browsers accept our cookies by default but in certain cases, like Safari, our cookies are blocked by default by the browser settings (and potentially without your knowledge). In these situations we will inform you before we drop our cookies so that you can tell us either that you want us to collect your browsing data, or opt-out of our services by using the Zipabout opt-out. In cases where you interact with our service and do not want to experience the personalisation that we provide, your browser settings may nonetheless be configured to allow third party cookies. In this situation, the most efficient way to disable our services in these browsers is by using our Opt-out. As described above, we elected to provide mechanisms of choice through our proprietary opt out and through industry platforms and do not respond to web browser do not track signals.
More about our technology
Online web environment: (desktop, tablet, and smartphone browsers)
Zipabout “tags” visitors interacting with our partners’ transport information services with browser cookies. Users tagged by Zipabout are given a technical identifier. At no point does Zipabout collect identifying personal data such as your name or address. The browser cookies track the transport information viewed by the visitor interacting with the partner for whom Zipabout is providing services. Special tags are used by Zipabout to transfer browsing data from visitors when they interact with our partner’s service to Zipabout’s servers.
What are cookies? A cookie is a small text file stored on a user’s computer for record-keeping purposes. There are two types of cookies:
- Session cookies are used to make it easier for you to navigate on websites. A session ID cookie expires when you close your browser.
- Persistent cookies are used to run our technology as they enable us to track and target the interests of users to enhance the experience on our partners’ websites and advertising channels. Persistent cookies remain on your hard drive for an extended period of time. You can remove persistent cookies by following the directions provided in your internet browser’s ‘help’ file.
Zipabout delivers the following third-party cookies to enhance your browsing experience:
- client_cookie – this cookie enables us to anonymously map user activity within our platform and is important to improving browsing experience. It contains both a userGUID, which anonymously identifies a user within our platform and maps activity across the platform, and a clickGUID, which anonymously identifies the page/screen currently being viewed and maps activity across that page/screen.
- user_cookie – this cookie is another way of improving browsing experience. It also contains a userGUID to anonymously identifies a user within our platform and map their activity across the Zipabout platform.
- zpbt_optout – this cookie is important for remembering user opt-out preferences. If this cookie is set, no other user activity data is stored beyond the life of an individual user ‘session’ within the Zipabout platform.
- https://tag.zpbt.uk/zpbt_tag_v2.aspx – this file helps improve browsing experience. It is cached in the user browser, and stores the same identifiers as the client_cookie. This is an alternative storage mechanism for anonymously identifying users within the Zipabout platform. This file should be removed from your cache if you wish to manually remove your browsing history from our platform.
- Twitter/Facebook ‘Pixels’ – our platform integrates with both Facebook and Twitter ‘Pixels’ to create ‘Custom Audiences’, which enable our clients to communicate with our users through social media. These ‘Pixels’ (or cookies) allow us to anonomously match users within our own platform to their social media accounts, enabling personalised communications to be delivered via social media messaging platforms such as Twitter Direct Messaging or Facebook Messenger. We also use these ‘Custom Audiences’ to provide additional aggregated insight for our partners. See the ‘Delivery Partners’ section below for more information.
What are tags? A tag (also commonly known as a web beacon) is a transparent graphic image (usually no larger than a 1×1 pixel) or small file, that is placed in a website. Our partners’ products are distributed to and displayed on many websites, also known as “publishers.” These publishers may also place cookies on your browser. These cookies are there so that the publishers recognise that Zipabout has personalised information available for you.
Other environments (Mobile applications)
In environments that do not support cookies, like mobile applications, we may use other similar technologies for the same purpose of cookies. To serve our personalised information in mobile applications we collect identifiers, such as Google Advertising ID or Apple IDFA depending on the operating system of your mobile device. These identifiers consist of a string of technical and random characters identifying your device, and stored by Zipabout with a hash (non-reversible encrypting method).
Linking environments: (browsers and mobile apps)
To provide you with our personalised information and provide a seamless online experience, we may link your identifiers on the different environments you are using (“ID syncing”). At no point do we collect identifying personal data such as your name or address to operate the linking. We use exact linking methods by leveraging the technical data collected through our technology such as our partner’s identifiers or email hash that they may pass to us. See data collection paragraph to learn more.
Data collection & use
We do not know who you are. We collect and use technical data relating to your browsing navigation to deliver personalised information.
More about data collection and use
In order to allow our partners to deliver information that is more relevant to you, we collect data related to your browsing activity through cookies or equivalent identifiers that record:
- events related to your activity on our partner’s website (such as the number of pages viewed, the services you viewed on that website, your searches made on the partner’s website)
- events related to your interaction with our partner’s services within their own communications (e.g. newsletters, travel alerts) and on third party web sites (e.g. on travel information websites)
- information related to your device (device type, operating system, version)
- and events related to the personalised information provided by Zipabout, such as your response to the information, or to information that you express an interest in.
We also collect technical user identifiers from our partners for the purpose of linking the different browsers and mobile apps you use and deliver relevant information based on your behaviour across environments (“ID syncing”). For that purpose we process and store:
- Technical IDs of our advertising partners, and/or a hashed version of your CRM ID or of your email address – the hashing method used is the MD5 which is a non-reversible encrypting method. MD5 of your email correspond to a series of characters that does not permit your identification. For eg : a hash of firstname.lastname@example.org would be 95ad3e9a65078288849e0ce56cf032c4
- Mobile advertising IDs (such as Apple IDFA or Google AAID) which are specific technical data created by mobile manufacturers to allow personalisation and customer analytics in a secure and non-identifying way for users
Finally, we can collect technical identifiers from third parties for the purpose of improving our ID syncing and be sure to offer you a seamless online experience. These trusted partners commit to only share ID corresponding to deterministic linking made between cookies and/or mobile identifiers and to provide an efficient choice mechanism to end users (opt-out). For eg : the linking information sourced from our partners could be Cookie ID ABC = Apple IDFA 123 = MD5 hashed value).
We do not collect any identifying information
We do not know who you are. We do not know your address, your place of work, your date of birth, your email address, your phone number. We do not use or store your IP address for targeting purposes*. We do not collect hardware-based identifiers such as UDID, Mac Address. We do not collect sensitive information (such as religion, political opinion, health…). We only collect data in order to increase the relevancy of the information being displayed to you. The data we collect is also used for reporting purposes, and to give our clients and partners more information about the performance of their services, and to improve the relevance of our personalised information over time. We do not create segments to specifically target children under 13 years old. We do not process any information which could be used by Zipabout, directly or indirectly, with the help of a third party or otherwise, to determine the personal identity of users. We share information collected with our subsidiaries or affiliated companies. We share aggregated data with our partners, i.e. data that does not permit identification of a partner, or permit you to be identified. We share non-aggregated data only upon approval of our partners and in compliance with our commercial agreements. We partner with Ad Exchange platforms to deliver our personalised information through display advertising on third party web sites.
*In compliance with the best industry standards, we use IP addresses:
- For fraud detection purposes (and not for targeting purposes) to help alert us to situations which could not have been caused by human behavior, such as a massive amount of clicking in a limited period of time; or
- To extract geographical information.
Zipabout commitments and adherence
Zipabout is an early adopter of initiatives of greater transparency and control for users.
More about transparency and control
Zipabout supports initiatives of greater transparency and control for users and in particular has been an early adopter to the following initiatives:
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Zipabout will be in conformance with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation when it goes into effect on the 25th of May, 2018. To learn more about the GDPR, please visit https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-dat a-protection-regulation-gdpr.
The Digital Advertising Alliance. Zipabout adheres to the Digital Advertising Alliance Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising.
The Network Advertising Initiative. Zipabout adheres to the Network Advertising Initiative Standards (NAI Code of Conduct, Mobile Application Code). NAI offers an online web opt-out platform to allow consumers to express their choices and provides general information related to privacy and Interest Based Advertising.
SafeHarbor. Zipabout complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of Personal Information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, please visit https://safeharbor.export.gov/list.aspx
Data security and retention
The security of your information is fundamental to Zipabout. We have implemented industry-standard security measures, which include the use of firewalls and encryption.
More about data security and retention
Our cookies expire 12 months after they are last updated. Aggregated data is retained securely in our Data Warehouse for use in generating recommendations and refining our algorithms. More detailed behavioural data is retained for up to 60 days before being archived.